Thursday 16 February 2012

Rogue Ales' Chocolate Stout


6.3% Abv


Now, this was my Valentine's pressie from the Husband. As I commented on twitter, this is better than receiving flowers, after all who doesn't love beer and chocolate and here they are combined!





You can see from the photos that this beer pours with a lively thick dark chocolate head which I will add has a lot of lasting power, at the end of the glass you ended up slurping up the chocolately foam a bit like trying to get the last bits of a milkshake in a way. The beer itself is a dark midnight black with no flashes when lifted to the light, it is totally opaque.

It smells of chocolate, chocolate and then more chocolate. The bottle states that it is made from imported chocolate, which is a good thing, American chocolate isn't usually nice in my experience. The beer delivers more chocolate on taste with a sweet oaty bite to it, it's the oatness that actually cuts though the intense chocolate hit to round it out and the finish is bitter chocolate like a 95% chocolate bar.

This is without doubt one of the most chocolately beers I have tasted, Saltaire's has a syrupy sweet chocolate flavour but this beer has a earthly chocolate taste and it feels as if chocolate was melted into this beer. It coats your mouth with it's beery chocolateness and doesn't let go, it is a very morish beer.

Wonderful evening drink to relax with, as I did indeed drink this last night, you didn't think I had opened this at 6.30am in the morning did you?

4 comments:

  1. If you think that on is chocolaty, you should try their Double Chocolate Stout -> http://www.rogue.com/beers/double-chocolate-stout.php It was almost too chocolaty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't tried that one yet, although thanks to the Cask bin ends sale I did get a bottle of their mocha porter which is new to me.

    Also I tried Darkstars Milk Stout which was sweet and chocolately whilst I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I blog about this beer, since its me on the bottle! Cheers. @chocolatestout

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for popping by :)

    It's a cracking beer, does you proud!

    ReplyDelete