Thursday 17 March 2011

Hare Raiser – McMullen

ABV 4.0%

This is the latest in seasonals for the McMullen brewery, it is a lovely golden bitter which slips down nicely on a warm spring day. This would be a great pint for a balmy summer’s evening too come to think of it. It’s made according to the McMullen website with one hundred per cent Styrian Golding hops which are the reason for its citrus notes but it is citrusly without being astringent unlike a lot of the lighter beers I have had before in spring.

These lighter beers are not normally my taste at all and usually I just end up avoiding them but so far all the ones I have tried this year have been lighter and less in your face than last year’s versions. While I don’t mind being challenged there is a point where enough is enough, I drink beer generally in a relaxed atmosphere with either a book or with friends. I enjoy the flavour and taste of beer and it doesn’t need to slap me in the face to get my attention. So this type of beer with it’s soft easy going charm is wonderful.

It is a cracker of a beer which I heartily recommend folks try whilst it’s around before like the crème eggs it disappears for the year.

2 comments:

  1. "doesn’t need to slap me in the face to get my attention."

    Must remember that if we ever meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could remember, that would be great. :)

    ReplyDelete